Wednesday 9 May 2007

Not my type

It's probably a sure sign that I have far too much time on my hands, but I found this article fascinating. I do find it amazing quite how much a font can affect our responses to a piece of writing, but it's true. Poetry mags and books generally tend to steer well clear of Helvetica and Arial style fonts, but there might be people out there who'd love to see them used more. Are you one of them?
My current favourite for manuscripts and submissions is Garamond, although I quite like Georgia too. But I wonder what an editor would think if they received a genius poem in Comic Sans, or Cooper Black?

2 comments:

Kirk Wisebeard said...

I've always had a soft spot for Times Roman... and, for some strange reason, Century Schoolbook and Helvetica Bold....

Matt Merritt said...

Oh yes, I like Times Roman too. I just get sick of it because it gets used so much at work