Thursday 25 March 2021

The Las

I stumbled across this article on the BBC website last week sometime, and it set me thinking. I can remember, back in 1988, all the fuss in the music press about The Las, when the original single version of There She Goes came out. It was hugely tuneful and jangly (but then, so were a lot of things back then), and seemed to promise a great deal. 

I can remember the eager wait for their debut album, the constant delays, and then finally hearing it on a friend's record player. And I can remember being disappointed.

I know. I know you're supposed to buy into the whole lost genius story, but I can't.

I remember at the time thinking that it all sounded just too desperate to nod in the direction of classic British 1960s guitar pop. The review on AllMusic says that it avoids that, and compares it favourably with work by Oasis and Blur in that respect, but I can't agree. I wasn't a big fan of either of those bands, but I'd say that both at least steered clear of straightforward pastiche. The Las, to me, didn't, or at least not always.

I saw them live, on my 21st birthday, in fact, and got the same impression from the gig. It was good. They were good. But they didn't blow me away. It all felt a bit contrived.

And that's it, really. There are plenty of you who will disagree with me, and I'd be delighted to be persuaded of the report of my ways. But for now, at least, the legend feels a lot more interesting than the music. 


1 comment:

Mat Riches said...

I'm not sure you need to be persuaded. Once upon a time I'd have (metaphorically) fought you for suggesting The Las weren't the greatest...particularly on the evening I played There She Goes 30+ times in a row, but I was 19 at the time and that stuff was important then. It's not now.

I've just gone back to my old Las demos and the like to see if there's gold in them there hills and there ain't, IMHO, but I'd stand by large parts of their album being wonderful, and TSG is still a work of genius, but it's not the bestest thing ever (neither was the Stone Roses' debut for that matter). Jealous you got to see them though. I missed out on seeing Cast as they were getting going in Liverpool after the Las had fallen apart. NB i always liked the idea that the last words on the Las album were 'The change is cast..."

I wonder who is poetry's equivalent of Lee Mavers..