Tuesday 29 March 2011

NaPoWriMo 2011

Back in 2007, I took part in NaPoWriMo for the first, and so far, only time. Basically, you're challenged to write a poem a day throughout the month of April. I used my iPod to provide inspiration each day in the form of a random song, and quite a few of the poems I produced ended up published, albeit after some fairly lengthy tinkering later.

I'm still undecided about taking part this year. My excuse to avoid it is that April's going to be a really busy month (readings, hosting a readers' holiday at work, a friend's wedding, and more), but on the other hand much the same can be said of most months, so taking part would be a welcome dose of discipline in my writing life.

But whatever I decide (and I can feel myself edging towards taking part even as I write), there's now a new, simple to use website for all participants. Register on it if you want to be part of it, and enjoy a hectic, but potentially very rewarding, 30 days.

3 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

Wishing you all the best if you rise to the challenge. Does this mean that your poems/drafts will be appearing on your blog, if you register?

As for me, well, I'm still mulling over the idea ...

Matt Merritt said...

Yes, I'll post the drafts up here, although probably only temporarily. I think they might be quite short poems!

Caroline Gill said...

Thank you, Matt: it will be interesting to read these.