Monday 2 February 2009

Remembering The Triffids

I've raved at length in the past about my love for 1980s Aussie band The Triffids and their idiosyncratic brand of country rock, so I'm delighted that one of my poems, Unquiet, will appear in a book called Vagabond Holes: David McComb and The Triffids, to be published this September by Fremantle Press. Edited by Chris Coughran and Niall Lucy at the University of Melbourne, it will feature contributions from a range of journalists, academics, musicians and visual artists, plus poets including John Kinsella and Laurie Duggan.

The poem is one of a few I've written that owe something to McComb and his band, whether in terms of inspiration, mood or setting. Another, Hutt River Province, appeared in Troy Town.

But anyway, I recommend the book, and any of the band's albums. Today, with the UK in the grip of a proper winter for once, is as good a time as any to transport yourself to the sun-baked, parched expanses of Western Australia.

UPDATE: I think the band's entire back catalogue has now been remastered and reissued - details here. And, if you read my next post, Andrew Shields' review opens by talking about Hutt River Province.

No comments: