Wednesday 25 April 2007

Fair swap

I've beeen rather remiss in not really reporting back on the Poetry Superhighway Great Poetry Exchange, back at the start of March. I receieved LouAnn Shepard Muhm's Dear Immovable (Pudding House Chapbook Series), which has the advantage of a great title to start with. I've read it a couple of times now, and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was maybe one poem early on, Conspicuous Consumption, which didn't really grab me, but the rest worked well. For the most part she writes a spare, stripped-down, rather understated style of free verse, with sharp and precise imagery, but the occasional bursts of intensely personal writing are all the more effective for being used sparingly. There's humour and tenderness in there too, and it easily passed my first chapbook test (will I keep picking it up to re-read).
I'll write a little more, and post a couple of the poems, in the next few days. Further proof, for me, that the Exchange is a win-win proposition (you get your chapbook out there, and you get a good book in return).

No comments: