Monday 9 May 2011

Essential viewing

So, tomorrow night at nine, our TV screens will once again be given over to the stories of a group of ruthless, back-stabbing, self-interested individuals and their endless machinations and romantic complications.

Of course, if you don't want to watch The Viking Sagas, on BBC4, which will look at the great outpouring of historically-based literature from 13th Century Iceland (it focuses on Laxdaela Saga, although my own favourite is Njal's Saga), you could go for something completely different and switch to BBC1 for The Apprentice. Which would, to be fair, be improved further by the contestants settling their differences with axes.

2 comments:

Forthvalley scribe said...

wouldn't miss it. I like Njalssaga myself (I've been to Hjardaholt and Bergthorsknoll) but Laxdaelasaga is much more approachable for a post Romantic Britain.

Matt Merritt said...

I'm sure you're right, although I don't think Njal's Saga is at all hard to get into - it always strikes me as being very similar to a good western, or a mafia drama like The Sopranos.

I missed the start of last night's programme, so I'm going to watch it on iPlayer.