Thursday 27 April 2017

Books in the bag

In idle moments (and there haven't been too many of them lately), I got to wondering which 10 books I'd take to a hypothetical desert island. I've started compiling mental lists of the candidates, but there are rather a lot of them, so it may take some time.

But who needs a desert island anyway? I also got to wondering anyone out there has a book or book that they carry with them at all times. These days, with Kindles and the like, and smartphones, it's a pretty easy thing to do, too.

I rarely read much on my phone or tablet, but there are times (waiting at airports, or on long journeys) when it's useful to have something to hand. And the two books that are on there, waiting to be dipped into? The Diary Of A Nobody, and Njal's Saga. Because sometimes you feel like reading about the inconsequential goings-on of a Victorian office clerk, and others you get a hankering to read about medieval Icelanders hacking bits off each other.

So, which books do you always have with you? I'm intrigued...

No comments: