Monday 27 June 2016

The Seasons of Cullen Church, by Bernard O'Donoghue


I've long been a fan of Bernard O'Donoghue's poetry - his The Nuthatch is one of my favourite bird poems ever - so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this, his latest collection from Faber and Faber.

It's concerned with family histories and mythologies, as well as touching on some of O'Donoghue's other familiar concerns and subjects - emigration and emigrants, and (pleasingly for me), Anglo-Saxon literature. More to follow once I've digested it further...

1 comment:

Poetry Pleases! said...

Dear Matt

I agree with you that Bernard O'Donoghue is a fine poet. I haven't commented much lately because I'm still depressed by the EU referendum result. We're not expecting a very warm welcome in Provence this autumn!

Best wishes from Simon R. Gladdish