Tuesday 16 December 2008

Rom coms ruin your life

Nothing entirely surprising in that conclusion, but there's nothing like overstating the results of a single, not especially scientific study, and I can't help feeling that the researchers failed to follow up on a second, much more interesting point.

We're told: "As part of the project, 100 student volunteers were asked to watch the 2001 romantic comedy Serendipity, while a further 100 watched a David Lynch drama. Students watching the romantic film were later found to be more likely to believe in fate and destiny. A further study found that fans of romantic comedies had a stronger belief in predestined love."

What I'd really like to know is, were the students who watched the David Lynch film later found to be more likely to believe in extraordinary revelations made through surreal nightmares involving backwards-talking dwarfs? I know I am.

3 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

I was wondering the same thing (or something like it) even as I was reading the quotation!

As my high-school girlfriend liked to say, "Great minds think alike." A cliche that led another friend to say, "Mediocre minds move in the same ruts." :-)

Matt Merritt said...

Let's give ourselves the benefit of the doubt and go with your ex-girlfriend's thinking, Andrew!

Kirk Wisebeard said...

I'm also suffering from the belief that a film is automatically better for the inclusion of Kyle mcLachlan.....